Connected Kids is our after-school club. It provides opportunities for young people to continue their education in a fun and engaging way outside of school, while enabling parents/guardians to access affordable childcare arrangements that gives them the flexibility to widen their employment opportunities.
What do they do?
Our activities include:
- participating in our community gardens, growing their own fruit and vegetables;
- looking after the beehives and making honey;
- participating in fund-raising activities to enable them to do additional activities they identify with;
- cooking both for themselves and one another, for their parents and undertaking competitions like ‘Come Dine with Me’;
- participate in sports and dance using the centre’s multi-purpose ball courts;
- relaxation and meditation through drumming;
- general arts, crafts and play activities through the various facilities based within the centre and at Homework Club.
These activities help kids to build social networks with peers and, as individuals, build confidence and self-esteem.
Out and about
Our kids also get the opportunity to go on educational visits to cultural and historical places across the North East. We can also access well-subsidised fun trips to places or activities such as the cinema, climbing wall, ice-staking and bowling. We make every effort, at least annually, to run a residential trip and at times can even be found camping in the community gardens at the Meadows!
Come and have a go and see what you think
Any kid aged 8-13 is welcome at Connected Kids
We’re open Monday to Thursday 3.15 – 5.45pm during term-time and 1-4pm Monday to Thursday during the holidays.
For £1 kids can enjoy 2½ hours of fun, social interaction and learning and will have dinner to boot!
To support working parents, we also do a walking train directly from local primary schools. For an extra £1.50 we will collect your kid from school, taking them safely directly to the Meadows to allow you can relax and concentrate on work until collection time at 5.45pm
T: 0191 341 0033